Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Is there any advice out there about dating a Celiac?

I am in love with a wonderful man who is a Celiac. I am getting comfortable with the dietary adjustments that need to be made, but I wanted to see if anyone out there can tell me ways to make this relationship successful that I might not have thought of before. I don't mind eating with the same restrictions (that way I don't poison him with my good night smooch), and he is very generous in not ';requiring'; me to eat the same diet. His whole immediate family also are Celiacs, and I am meeting them for the first time soon.Is there any advice out there about dating a Celiac?
Hi. :) Yes it is perfectly acceptable to call him a Celiac!! We do that alot int he Celiac community. In fact, we affectionately refer to ourselves as Silly's (SillyYaks, get it?)





I think its awesome you are accepting of his restrictions, bc it is hard to eat GF!


Really there is no specific advice, just let him teach you the GF diet and feel free to eat your gluten filled foods when not around him. I am the only Silly in my house, my husband and son are not Celiac, so I make dinner GF (bc I'm the one cooking it!) although I do occasionaly make exceptions for their fave stuff as long as I have a GF alternative. BUt I have no problem with my husband having his oreos, etc. And he's polite enough to not eat them directly in front of me!





Remember that there are GF menus at some common restaraunts ya'll can enjoy together! Outback, PF Changs both have in house GF menus and Chilis has one online u can print, bring in and order off of.





(FYI: very nice of you to think about a GF smooch, but double check your lipsticks and chapsticks--gluten is a common ingredient!)





Enjoy meeting his family and trust me, they will LOVE that you are accepting of the diet and diagnosis (not everyone is! Lots of ppl thinkwe ar emaking it up!)





These sites may help you in your journey to understand celiac and all that is entailed!





www.csaceliacs.org


www.celiac.com


www.celiac.org





Oh and GF beer IS available. Anheiser Busch (sp?) has one called Redbridge! And many alcohols are GF unless made from malt.Is there any advice out there about dating a Celiac?
I am a celiac. You have to avoid gluten like the plague if you are celiac. Gluten is wheat,oats rye and barley. There will be no beer and malt products in the diet. I got myself into trouble many times until I understood the disease and diet but it didn't kill me so don't be too hard on yourself.


There is a genetic link to this disease as well.


As long as they stick to the diet they should be fine. You know real fast when you have messed up.


Also many medications can contain gluten filled fillers so have to be careful with that as well/


Type in Celiac sprue in your browser and you can learn more about this disease.
First of all, you might want to stop referring to him by his condition... I'm sure he's a pretty normal guy! I have never dated a person with Celiac, but I happen to sit next to someone at work who has this disease. Talk to him about it and how it makes him feel. Try not to bring up foods that he can't eat (';I could really go for a bagel w/cream cheese right now'; etc) as it might secretly torture him! Find gluten-free bread and dessert recipes. Make them together and eat them together (some aren't bad!). Also, and this is a big one for my friend - don't make a huge scene saying ';Oh, he can't eat that - he has Celiac disease';. They get embarrased. Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment